Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Little Pacific Beach San Diego, CA Portable QRP

I was on Pacific Beach in San Diego, CA for a conference, and took some time to set up a little sand based station for some QRP action! The waves were up, the weather was beautiful, and the Florida stations were booming in! I was using my main QRP rig, an Icom 703 (not plus), with an off market battery and a modified MP1 SuperAntenna with a 12 foot whip (here shown only up about 6 feet). I used my antenna tuner to optimize the settup for 20 meters and only laid out 2 long radials. Seemed to work well. I had the power down to 5 watts for true QRP.

Some kids came by and asked what I was doing. I briefly explained about Ham radio, and they seemed interested, but were disappointed that I wasn't trying to contact UFO's or aliens. I told them I'd talk to whoever answered! Hopefully Stephen Hawking wasn't listening in, as he probably wouldn't approve.

73

AD7QQ

No comments:

Post a Comment